Saturday 30 November 2013

Quilt for November




This quilt makes me think of November and colder days so it always comes out this time of the year. The creams, oranges, browns and greys in the prints remind me of increasingly stark landscapes as well as warm hot drinks and seasonal foods.




I have, unfortunately, lost all of my documentation about the materials I used but believe that the medallion and most of the prints came from a line of reproduction cotton prints by Makower based on an original mid-19th century quilt. I purchased them in the mid-1990s, and added the cream and brown miniature leaf clusters’ and bouquets’ prints as fillers and the border. The reverse material, by a third unknown manufacturer, is not a reproduction print but more of an homage, all in one place, to various styles of 19th century prints.


This quilt was entirely hand pieced and hand quilted. It measures 58” square.



No comments: