Saturday 17 August 2013

Knitted Striped Bag from the V&A – Smaller Version





Regular readers of this blog may remember a knitted striped bag I made some time ago which is based on one in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum (http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O75483/bag-unknown/)

Two bags were started but only one was completed (http://historyknits.blogspot.com/2012/02/knitted-bag-from-v.html.) The smaller version is closer to the size of the original bag in the museum. Due to demands on my time and the deadlines of the Year of Completion (2012), the smaller bag, still very much just started, fell by the wayside that is clogged with infant, if not, embryonic wips.

With these bags, I had reversed my usual process as I occasionally make a miniature version of items to puzzle out any problems, practice the stitches, etc. It was easier, however, in this case, to make a larger, more visible version which is now my pattern.*

The smaller bag is back on the needles now and I am enjoying watching it grow, each row taking around five to ten minutes to knit, depending on the section of the pattern. The needles are extremely fine as is the DMC Coton Perlé 12.  The weather, however, has turned cooler, and, if it lasts, I should be able to make some progress.



*I cannot give any more details of the pattern as the original is in the collection of a museum. When I wrote to the V&A, asking for permission to reproduce another item from the textile collection with the agreement that I would not sell or share the pattern. I received a very nice reply from the museum that granted me the permission along with good wishes that I might enjoy working on such projects.  

No comments: