Tuesday 16 July 2013

Famous Knitters – Ginger Rogers and Barbara Stanwyck




Barbara Stanwyck (July 16, 1907 – January 20, 1990)

Two icons of Hollywood, and two of my favourite performers, sharing a birthday. They made so many famous films. I never tire of the Night and Day dance routine in The Gay Divorcee (and that dress!), and I have worn thin my copy of Stage Door (1937.)  Double Indemnity (1944) is near the top my desert island list and I will watch any movie with Barbara Stanwyck in it. With the advances in technology, more and more of the earlier films of these ladies are becoming available for viewing. They are a treat, not only for the history of film, but also for the clothes (fabulous and mundane), furniture, cars, etc., of the 1930s.

Note Barbara Stanwyck's knitting bag (I am becoming obsessed with them!) Love those shoes, too.



Gary Cooper is playing with knitting that is beside Barbara Stanwyck’s chair.* I am hoping it is hers; it seems to be coming out of one of those folding cloth baskets next to her chair. 



Ginger Rogers (July 16, 1911 – April 25, 1995)



Knitting, with Fred Astaire











Knitting behind the cameras.


I had the privilege of seeing Ginger Rogers on the stage in Mame. Many years ago now but we had seats very close to the stage and I will never forget the twinkle in her eyes.



No comments: