Thursday 17 January 2013

Reflections upon Historic Knitting at the End of a Year of Completion – Part Two



Six file boxes of patterns were tackled next and any missing patterns were re-united with their projects or listed as still missing. Then the computer came under scrutiny, namely saved electronic patterns and the bookmarks of any related subjects.

Now it was time for the spreadsheet of knitting projects in 2012. Even though I love to play with pens and paper, I have used this format for record keeping for the past few years as it has a search feature and I can print out various kinds of lists.  Name, pattern source, category, status (F or IP), date of starting, yarn, needle size, notes, number for addition, completed, historical, historical completed, (historically) related*, (historically) related completed*, started in 2012, completed in 2012 and the month. Of course, I am deeply indebted to Raverly’s project page feature for providing and maintaining this kind of information, thus making it easier for me to pop it into the spreadsheets.

The names of projects still in progress (IP) are in black and the completed ones are in bold red.

As for the results - the numbers for this sheet for 2012 reflect the period between January 1, 2012 and midnight, December 31, 2012 but do not include any of my charity knitting which I do not track on Ravelry or my spreadsheets.

All projects on needles  - 141 (throughout 2012)
Finished – 74 (by the end of 2012)
Added in 2012 – 44; 33 finished. 11 remaining in 2013
All remaining projects – 67

Historical projects – 72 (out of 141)
Finished - 42
Added in 2012 - 10
Remaining - 30


A fairly decent report although I would have liked higher numbers in the finished lines. Such an overwhelming number of 19th century wips also made me feel that I had neglected all of the other eras this year. There is, of course, a much wider choice of things to knit from the 19th century but my sensibilities lie more firmly in the long 18th century and I am homesick for those years. The Year Thirteen shall be more firmly devoted to my projects in all techniques from that period and, I have no doubt, all of those remaining (and new) 19th century projects.


*Items that bear a resemblance to or are inspired by an historical pattern or object but are not a reproduction.

End of Part Two

No comments: