Sunday 23 May 2010

Lady's Knitted Under Petticoat



This pattern comes from Godey’s Lady’s Book, December, 1864, page 533, with no suggested needle size or gauge and calling for “four-thread scarlet fleecy” and the same in white; its modern equivalent is lace-weight. It is easy and fun to knit, and very hard to put down which is good as it calls for several long panels that will then joined with a “single crochet.” I am knitting it on 3mm needles, in Nature Spun Sport weight 100% wool (Scarlet and Snow.) I did try it first in lace weight wool on both 3mm and 3.50mm needles but the result, with my tension, was too airy and loose.

The photograph shows the beginning of the border hem of a panel.

7 comments:

A Homely Heroine said...

Ohh, red and white, what a lovely nautical combination, makes me think of bathing huts and victorian swimwear.

A Homely Heroine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One More Stitch said...

Oh, what a terrific idea - Victorian swimwear!

Must put it on the research list!!!

Susan Armstrong said...

Have you thought of using a larger size needle? I used a four but I'm thinking a 5 or 6 possibly. The directions say it is not made very long, "there fore does not take a great deal of time to knit." I'm working on another project, but want to try another with larger pins.
Good luck with your petti.
Susan

One More Stitch said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a medium tension but going above the sizes I mentioned gave me a looser fabric. My worry was that if I knit something that was not fairly firm, it would stretch with wear (all that sitting down in it) or the length would drag it down. I will be reinforcing the waist to support the petticoat, probably with a strip of red flannel as suggested for the waistband of later 19th century's men's underwear. It may not be period-correct but I have already received criticism from some quarters over my choice of wool for this petticoat so I may as well be thoroughly damned!
You are right - it is not very long and I am not very tall so my panels will be less than a yard long each. I still hope to do another one in lace/fingering weight once I have the measurements down in this trial petticoat. I may make that one a child's petticoat, though. Less wool and work!

Susan Armstrong said...

LOL...your criticized, I'm banned...oh well. I believe you learn when you have the fibers and tools in your hands to work out some of these 19th century knitted or crochet objects.
You are cordially invited to join us in a group that covers the 19th century. Since many of us do other decades.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ladies_Work-Table/

One More Stitch said...

Thanks, Susan - I have taken you up on your invitation!