Monday 9 February 2009

The Garment - The Lower Half


The main part of the lower half of The Garment is finished and has been sent to my model for a fitting. He is 6’2”, hence the long legs. The foot sections will be knit down from the ankles.

The photo at left shows this part of TG in its final stages, minus the fall. The legs were knit in the round but then I switched to back and forth for the upper part. The open (not yet sewn) inner seam is just visible. Following the pattern of men’s breeches at that time, the seam is on the inside of the leg. There was an outside seam, too, but "it don't signify" in this case. This photo also shows several sets of needles on TG. The fall (front flap) is on a small circular needle and green wool, holding the stitches until the needle was put on but left on for clarity in the photo. This was knit back and forth with two garter stitches on either side and across the top to flatten the edges, and with a button hole at either upper side. Decreases were made on both sides for the waist as I knit up the hips, also, at this point, back and forth, with stitches both cast/bound off and some replaced, at the front for the waistband. The waist area shows two pairs of long circular needles. The larger, wooden set is knitting the outer waist band, including the stitches added for the front of the waistband which will also have a button. The thin, metal long circular needles are holding the stitches at the base of the waistband which will become the inner waistband, offering double support, therefore, to the upper part of TG which will be knit upwards from the lower part pictured here and from both waistbands, incorporated into one knitted row.


9 comments:

Celia said...

That's amazing! How long did that take you to knit? Will this be going in a book or magazine? I think it should.

andrea.at.the.blue.door said...

I sometimes think that fictional characters can be summoned up the way spirits can, if sufficiently motivated.

There is little doubt in my mind that Stephen will show up on your doorstep, delighted that TG is at last done to his satisfaction. Perhaps you can make him sing for it :)

One More Stitch said...

If I did not count the many times I ripped it out, there is only about twenty five hours of finished knitting. I knit one of the legs twice so that is another six hours times two, twelve hours added, we are up to thirty seven hours. Plus about two more for a few false starts, so thirty nine. Now add in about four or so hours of paperwork/re-designing/adjusting in the past few months. I am still keeping to my/Stephen's original pattern but I have tweaked it a bit here and there for comfort. Stephen, when he could get it, liked his comfort. I would be delighted if he turned up on my doorstep and he won't even have to sing for The Garment - it is all his!

One More Stitch said...

I think I would have to write the book TG will go into - maybe one about literary knits! What fun!

Thanks for the compliment.

Alwen said...

I'm sorry, all I could think of is that those circs are in a rather pointy place!

(Know anyone named Lea? Verification is logylea!)

One More Stitch said...

Yes, I advised extreme caution during the fitting! Might be best to have Dr. Maturin on hand in case of accidents and he could offer an opinion of "his" design.

A Homely Heroine said...

This is great, are you pleased with it so far? It's an incredible amount of work, what dedication to your cause! Can't wait for the next installment : )

P.s. have you thought of doing a book of knitting patterns based on the Aubrey/Maturin series? Oh think of the illustrations you could have!

One More Stitch said...

I am thrilled with it so far as my model has just sent it back to me (we are doing this project long distance which adds more of a challenge) and told me that it was a perfect fit! He likes it, too, and said that it stood the test of this cold weather. It even overlaps his feet just the way I imagined it. Scratch a backstay to ensure that the upper part will fit as well!

I am keeping a log of my Aubrey/Maturin projects. I am hoping to do something special with them. A pattern book would be lovely and the illustrations would be such fun. Right now I have been working on both a life size and a miniature pair of wool stockings for Stephen while awaiting the return of TG.

One More Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.